Green Chutney Stuffed Pomfret #Fish Friday Foodie


Pomfret is my favorite fish. I do not know why I like this fish not that it is more tastier than I other fish. But some how, mostly end my buying pomfret, Basa or Seer fish, may be becasue it has less thorns.  But,  my weakness is pomfret,  enjoy eating stuffed pomfret.  I,  stuff this fish in different masala and ways, even enjoy this fish steamed.  Remembering  the days when, I , was young every Good Friday my father used to go to Andheri fish market to buy big large pomfrets and Lobsters for us. We East Indians call pomfrets "Sarga " My mother used to stuff these pomfrets with this chutney for us. This my mother's recipe an traditional East Indian style of stuffing this fish. Try this and you too will enjoy it, will never forget the taste of this stuffed pomfret.

But over the years my father's thinking changed and no more do we eat fish on Good Friday, it became a vegetarian day for us. But those memories are still imprinted in my mind and now I, rarely get to see that size of pomfrets that my father use to bring in market.


For stuffing pomfret you can use either the big size ones or the palm size. This chutney will be enough to fill 2 palm size ones.

This goes to Fish Friday Foodies, this month I am  hosting this event.  Thank you Wendy for giving me this opportunity to host this event,

Ingredients
2 Palm Size Pomfrets
1/4 Teaspoon Turmeric powder
1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
1/2 Teaspoon Salt

For the Green Chutney - Grind to a paste

1 Cup Packed Coriander Leaves with the Tender stalks
5 Green Chillies or according to your taste
1/2 Cup Freshly grated Coconut
4  Cloves Garlic
1 Small Onion
1 Teaspoon Cumin seeds
1 Tablespoon Lemon juice
Salt to taste


Oil for frying
Rice flour for coating - optional

Method

For the pomfret

With  the back of a knife, lightly scrape  pomfret remove the scales present  ,  cut off the fins and tail.

  
Cut the fish near its stomach area and clean the inside portion very thoroughly.  Holding the head of the pomfret slit it horizontal from the head to the tail not separating it on one side.  Once this is done clean the unwanted stuff from inside and with the point of the knife remove any black stuff from the stomach part ( this even the fishmonger will slit, clean and give you, if you request ). 


Wash the Pomfret and tilt it, so the water drains off. 


Apply salt, turmeric and lime , on both sides and inside too, keep aside for 10 minutes. 

Grind the chutney to a paste in a mixer try not to add too much water if needed add a little. Keep aside.


Take a pan, add a teaspoon of oil,  pour the chutney to thicken it up for a while (see pic) , when it starts getting thick and water is reduced. Keep the flame on low and stirring off and on. Take off flame and allow to cool completely.


Fill the chutney into the pomfret. If you feel that you will not be able to handle the stuff pomfret while frying then tie with a string to hold the masala ( use stitching thread ). Apply a little chutney on the pomfret too.   Keep this stuffed pomfret in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour.


Take a big non stick pan pour in oil enough for frying and heat it on medium low flame.


Spread the rice flour in a big plate and turn the fish into it on both sides so that it is coated with the flour. Place  it carefully in the pan and fry on one side then flip and fry the other side. Tilt the pan for the sides to cook so you get an even colour for the fish on all sides. When done place it  on kitchen paper towel for the excess oil to drain.  Before serving cut off the string carefully when a slightly cooled. 


Serve hot, garnish with onion rings, slices of tomato and lime... cut a piece and enjoy...

My Notes

Coating it with rice flour gives  it a crisp texture..


Lables :  East Indian, Fish Friday, Stuffed Fish, Chutney, Seafood/Fish, Whole Pomfret, Pan Fried

Sneha's Recipe
Sneha's Recipe

Happy Home-maker and culinary enthusiast.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my Sneha. Where do I start? First, thanks so much for hosting this month and choosing such a great theme. I have never heard of pomfret before this post. This dish sounds amazing and it thrills me that it is your Mom's recipe and brings back such fond memories for you. Food memories are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks amazing! I am not familiar with pomfret but now I will be obsessed! Thanks for hosting and the great theme!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for hosting - and what a beautiful recipe to share!

    ReplyDelete